Document folder with a car


Before driving you must check both you, as the driver, and the vehicle is insured. The minimum level of insurance is third party. 

Make sure your insurance covers everything it needs to:

  • If you use your vehicle for work, you need business car insurance
  • If you have made any modification to the vehicle, make sure your insurance company are aware.

The owner of the vehicle is legally obligated to insure their vehicle.  Cut your insurance costs by driving a car in a low insurance group, adding a second (low risk) driver, fitting a black box and shopping around for the best deals. Beware bogus insurers, your insurer/broker must be FCA authorised and regulated.


Road Tax

Road tax is also known as a Vehicle Excise Licence. If you drive your vehicle or park it on the road you must tax your vehicle. If your vehicle is not being used and is parked off the road you can notify the DVLA the vehicle as being off road known as SORN (statutory off-road notification.) Even if you do not have to pay anything you still have to make sure your vehicle is taxed. Follow the link to check if your vehicle is taxed here.

Vehicles that are not taxed can be seized by the Police and the DVLA.



If your vehicle is three years old or older it must have a valid MOT Test Certificate every year. The test ensures the vehicle is roadworthy and is safe for the driver and other road users. Driving an unroadworthy motor vehicle may invalidate your insurance.

Follow the link to check if your vehicle has a valid MOT here.