Mobility Scooters give people a new lease of freedom and independence. If you are new to using a scooter here are some tips to keep you and pedestrians safe:
- Firstly, make sure you are registered as the keeper of the mobility scooter. You do not have to pay road tax and there is no legal requirement for insurance, but it is recommended. For more information follow the link here.
- Be careful when mounting and dismounting kerbs and pavements, use dropped kerbs when possible.
- Some medication can cause drowsiness so if you are concerned speak to your doctor.
- When driving on the pavement you should keep your speed below 4mph.
- If you are travelling in the dark or in the winter months make sure you are visible to all road users by using lights or high visibility clothing.
- Always ensure your mobility scooter is road worthy and regularly serviced.
For more information click here.
A useful training resource has been funded by the Road Safety Fund called See & Scoot, follow the link to watch the video here.