Keep up with the recommended service intervals for your vehicle. Not only does this keep your vehicle safe and may prevent breakdowns, but it can save you a lot of money further down the line by keeping it well maintained.
Make sure your never miss an MOT, this important test ensures your vehicle is roadworthy and safe . Without a valid MOT your insurance could be null and void in the event of a collision. It is also an offence not to have a valid MOT and your vehicle can be seized.
Most modern vehicles have sensors that monitor such things as their performance, low fluid levels, loss of pressure in tyres, lights out and a host of other things. Do not ignore these warning lights and get them checked out immediately. We would always recommend you carry out regular visual checks as well, do not rely the sensors to tell you.
It’s important to carry out regular simple checks on your vehicle, such as :
- Before setting off on a long journey check your tyre pressure and make sure it is suitable for the load you are carrying.
- You should check the tread of your tyres as the minimum legal depth is 1.6mm. Also, look for cuts or wear in the tyres. It is easiest to check your tyres when the wheels are angled, like when turning a corner.
- Don’t forget to check your spare tyre if you have one.
- Before a journey use your dipstick to check the oil.
- If you are topping up your engine oil regularly take your car to a garage to get it checked
- Make sure you check all your lights are working on a regular basis and if any are out replace the bulb as soon as possible.
- It is important to check your lights are clean too for maximum visibility.
- Regardless of the time of year, it is important to keep your screen wash topped up so you can clean your window screen while driving and ensure good visibility.
- Make sure you regularly check your wiper blades for splits and cracks. In winter try freeing your wipers with de-icer or warm water before you start your engine.
- Always make sure you have enough fuel to get to your destination, factor in possible delays where you are using fuel sitting in traffic.
Vehicle Car Check Events
Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service offers winter car checks across the county and gives advice around maintaining your car. The events will be advertised through the partnership and Warwickshire Fire and Rescue social media accounts.